Why this is important to Wisconsin businesses: The Japanese government is implementing new measures to support foreign companies considering investing in Japan.
Japan’s declining population poses considerable challenges for its economy. The population peaked at 128 million in 2019 and has already fallen to 126.2 million. Projections suggest the population will continue to fall, potentially dropping below 100 million by the middle of the 21st century.
The Japanese government is working to cultivate an environment where all companies and people enjoy the benefits of the global economy, and to facilitate full-fledged globalization in Japan to attract outstanding talent and technology from overseas and boost employment and innovation. In 2013, the government set a goal of doubling inward foreign direct investment (FDI) to ￥35 trillion by 2020 (from ￥17.6 trillion at the end of 2012). This target was reiterated in the “Japan Revitalizing Policy 2016.” Japan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has established contact points for direct investment toward Japan in 126 diplomatic missions overseas, and in cooperation with overseas offices of the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) is taking the following measures to double inward FDI stocks in Japan:
- Collect information that relates to potential foreign direct investment.
- Collect information that contributes to improving the investment environment in Japan.
- Promote Japan's attractiveness as an investment destination among foreign business communities.
- Organize and cooperate on events promoting FDI into Japan.
JETRO supports foreign companies by:
- offering guidance on the administrative procedures for FDI into Japan;
- arranging meetings with officials of regulatory agencies if needed; and
- relaying requests for regulatory reforms to the Japanese government.
The Invest Japan office at the Office of Foreign Direct Investment Promotion in Tokyo provides the following services to potential investors:
- Request for information on investment
- Information on applying for investment opportunities
- Information about the processing of the advanced notification system, on the so-called "no-action letter” system and on investment
- Other matters related to investment