Why this is important to Wisconsin businesses: The Australian state is planning large projects that will provide opportunities for Wisconsin companies.
The economy of the state of South Australia represented about 6 percent of Australia’s total gross domestic product of $1.2 trillion in 2014-2015. Adelaide, the state’s capital, and its surrounding metropolitan areas are home to almost 80 percent of the state’s 1.7 million residents, and serves as the commercial, manufacturing, technology and research center of South Australia.
In response to new opportunities and challenges, South Australia has updated its 30-Year Plan for Greater Adelaide, reinforcing its commitment to delivering multimillion-dollar investment into infrastructure projects that will open up new transit corridors, provide cleaner and more efficient public transport, and make sure Adelaide evolves into a city that can accommodate a growing population, supports economic growth and connects communities.
The following proposed and ongoing infrastructure projects may be of particular interest to Wisconsin companies:
- Extending the Adealide tram (streetcar) network ($41 million);
- Upgrading and electrifying the Gawler rail line ($113 million, commencing in 2017-18);
- The Torrens Rail Junction Project ($177 million; expressions of interest for opportunities related to this project are now being accepted via ICN Gateway);
- The Renovation of Her Majesty's Theatre ($26 million);
- Improving safety at Kangaroo Creek Dam ($70 million, already under way and forecast for completion in 2018); and
- O-Bahn Guided Bus City Access Project ($119 million, already under way).
Wisconsin companies are encouraged to review the draft 30-Year Plan for Greater Adelaide to identify relevant areas of expertise and to keep abreast of opportunities by registering South Australia tender website and reviewing ICN Gateway, an industry supplier portal with $297 billion in project opportunities. Please note, Wisconsin companies will need to have an Australian Business Number (ABN) to register for updates with ICN Gateway. Wisconsin companies are also encouraged to consider identifying and working with local partners that can respond to opportunities in the market.