Why this is important to Wisconsin businesses: Wisconsin is a leader in video game development, and Wisconsin companies in the industry might find opportunities in Mexico.
Video games have become big business in Mexico; in fact, Mexico is the industry leader in Latin America.
Mexico’s video game industry reached $1.6 billion USD in revenue in 2019—not including educational games—and was expected to total $1.7 billion in 2021, according to Statista. That’s a jump of about 89% since 2009.
More than half of the revenue—58%—came from software, including video games and apps, while the remaining 42% was attributed to hardware purchases, such as consoles and portable devices.
About 65 million people in Mexico played video games in 2019, and with the COVID-19 pandemic forcing people to stay indoors more, that figure rose to 72.3 million by the end of 2020, according to the Competitive Intelligence Unit in Mexico City.
Gamers in Mexico spent, on average, $586 for a gaming console and $35 for a game. About 3% of the players said they purchase games during advance sales, paying more so they can access the game before its official launch.
Educational video games in Mexico aim at children between the ages of 5 and 10, on average. One of the most popular games is Kerbal Space Program, which lets players create and manage their own space program. Another popular game is designed to help people of all ages improve their Spanish spelling and writing.
Learny Games is one of the Mexican companies that develops educational interactive games and virtual reality educational games for preschool and primary and secondary school students. The company has published more than 200 video games for educational institutions and private companies.
Wisconsin game development companies may wish to consider pursuing the market for their products in the video game industry in Mexico.