WEDC provides funding for nine Wisconsin regional economic development organizations (EDOs): 7 Rivers Alliance, Centergy, Grow North, Madison Region Economic Partnership, Milwaukee 7, Momentum West, New North, Prosperity Southwest, and Visions Northwest. While the regional EDOs are organized differently to meet the needs of their respective communities, they all demonstrate regional collaboration with county economic development organizations, municipal economic development organizations, regional planning commissions, workforce development representatives, educators, and private sector stakeholders.
WEDC works closely with the regional EDOs around the state to facilitate communication and coordinate support for local businesses and communities. Examples of such cooperation in FY23 include:
- Holding regular meetings with local and county EDOs and chambers of commerce
- Engaging, educating, and leveraging the local economic development partners within each region
- Establishing regional roundtables with key industry leaders to discuss key drivers, needs, and issues facing the region
- Employing a regular communication vehicle such as a newsletter or scheduled emails
- Issuing an annual state of the region report
- Educating elected officials and boards of directors on economic development
- Conducting, causing to be conducted, or coordinating the regular business retention and expansion initiatives throughout the region and coordinating the input of results to be shared with WEDC
- Conducting a marketing effort on behalf of the region and its partners; coordinating with WEDC on business and marketing initiatives incorporating the Wisconsin brand
- Reaching out to rural portions of the region and helping them develop economic growth strategies, addressing any housing, broadband, and/or child care activities
- Hosting and coordinating discussions on entrepreneurship resources and assisting in promoting WEDC’s digital entrepreneurship platform
- Leading and working with local partners to develop and enhance diverse business developmentstrategies for the region
- Worked with local partners to identify what each region is doing to encourage investment inrenewable energy systems or energy efficiency
In addition, the Regional Leadership Council, made up of the directors from the regional EDOs, identified key initiatives that could be deployed throughout the state in coordination with, and in advancement of, shared goals and strategies with WEDC.