BROWNFIELD SITE ASSESSMENT GRANTS
Community assistance for environmental assessments
Wisconsin’s Brownfield Site Assessment Grant (SAG) Program provides grant funds to approved projects to assist local governments with conducting initial environmental assessment and demolition activities on an eligible abandoned, idle or underutilized industrial or commercial site.
How it works
Any city, village, town, county or redevelopment authority can apply for funds.
SAG funds may be used for environmental assessments and associated demolition activities on properties with suspected or documented soil, groundwater or vapor contamination. Applicants must demonstrate the following:
- The party that caused the environmental contamination and any person who possessed or controlled the environmental contaminant is unknown, cannot be located or is financially unable to pay for the remediation of the soil and/or groundwater.
- The applicant owns or demonstrates legal access to the property to conduct project activities.
SAG funds may typically be used for the following activities:
- The investigation of environmental contamination on an eligible site or facility for the purpose of reducing or eliminating soil contamination
- The demolition of any structures or buildings located on an eligible site
- Asbestos abatement associated with demolition activities
- The removal of abandoned containers and the removal of underground hazardous storage tank systems