Taking quieter industrial machinery to a global market
Founded in 1959, Stoughton-based B&W Universal, formerly Universal AET, specializes in designing and manufacturing equipment that quiets or muffles loud industrial machinery in various industries, including oil and gas, energy and aerospace. The company first developed a global presence after being acquired by manufacturing giant Cummins in 1998, and sought to continue this expansion after splitting off to become a privately held company in 2007. To support this strategy, the company has leveraged WEDC’s resources and expertise.
Building upon an existing exporting foundation
B&W Universal had previously built upon the global strategy of former parent company Cummins, looking to European markets as well as India, where Cummins had manufacturing processes that allowed its equipment to be shipped for sale to destinations across Europe and Asia. B&W Universal focused on markets where its largest customers had existing sales relationships or overseas facilities, establishing a presence in these markets to make distribution more cost and energy efficient. After the separation from Cummins, B&W Universal joined WEDC on trade ventures to Canada and Mexico, and also worked with the organization on applying for tax credits and an International Market Access Grant, which covers part of the cost of exhibiting at a trade show, participating in foreign business matchmaking services or taking part in a trade mission. After taking advantage of WEDC’s offerings, the company now exports to more than 40 countries.