HELPING COMMUNITIES AND BUSINESSES GROW
WEDC has created, in partnership with a site selector consultant and community partners, a program that provides consistent standards for industrial site certification in Wisconsin. Certification means that the key approvals, documentations and assessments most commonly required for industrial uses will already be in place to assist with an expedited development timeline.
A Certified Site designation serves as a pre-qualification, indicating that a property’s title is clear; that it possesses sufficient utilities and other infrastructure for industrial use, and that it is properly zoned and has adequate transportation access for such uses, among other criteria.
“The Certified In Wisconsin® Program is one of the best state-level programs in the U.S.”
WEDC sponsors the Certified Sites Program to enhance the state’s appeal to companies not currently located here. Working with WEDC, communities can obtain Certified Sites designation for properties at a much lower cost than they would pay to pursue the designation on their own through an independent consultant.
Wisconsin has 21 certified sites, with 29 development projects completed or underway that are expected to create more than 2,600 jobs and generate more than $472 million in capital investment.
SUBMITTING YOUR SITE FOR CERTIFICATION
- March: Applications available
- Early April: Applications due
- April through May: Reviews and identification of sites to inspect
- April through June: Arrange and conduct site inspection visits; issue feedback letters
- June through August: Certification takes place
SPREADING THE WORD ABOUT CERTIFIED SITES
For all Wisconsin properties that have been designated as Certified Sites, WEDC provides a high-profile, multi-pronged marketing strategy, marketing the sites to national site selection consultants to complement the local community’s own marketing efforts for the site. Components of the strategy include:
- Exclusive billing on Locate in Wisconsin.com, WEDC’s one-stop site selection resource listing available sites and buildings throughout the state, along with demographic information
- A unique landing page for each Certified Site, with links to all site-related documentation and mapping
- WEDC assists in soliciting earned media for all new sites being certified, as well as development on the site.